The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) made official this Saturday the disappearance of Catania Calcio, from Serie C, by revoking the affiliation of the Sicilian club from the federation itself and releasing its players, who can now go to other teams for free.
“The Federal President, having taken note of the bankruptcy declaration of the Calcio Catania company, decided to revoke the affiliation to the insolvent company Calcio Catania, with the release of the players’ files,” the FIGC said in a statement.
A new refounding of the Italian team and the beginning of a new journey from non-professional categories is now expected.
This revocation of affiliation by the FIGC, which means, for the moment, the disappearance of the team, comes after the Court of Etna (Catania, Sicily, Italy) ordered, also this Saturday, the cessation of sporting activity to Catania Calcio, who will not be able to play the last four games remaining in this campaign in the bronze category of Italian football.
On December 22, the same court officially declared Catania bankrupt. Since then, postponements and extensions in offices have become protagonists. Until today, when the court officially separated the ‘rossazzurri’ club from group C of the third division, in which they occupied 11th place with options to get into the ‘play-offs’ for promotion to Serie B.
“It is with great sadness that I must point out that the termination of the provisional exercise during the regular season causes serious damage to the Serie C championship and this is a situation that, as President of the League, I never wanted to experience,” said Francesco Ghirelli, president of the Lega Pro Series C, in an official statement.
The Court’s decision, communicated to Catania, occurs after the “expiry due to breach of the obligation to pay the total amount of the consideration” of the businessman Benedetto Mancini, who had presented the only purchase offer for the club, although he did not disburse the amount total set for the transaction, around 500 thousand euros, explains the Lega Pro in the letter.
For its part, Catania reported through a statement that it will request an “extraordinary financial intervention, or a contribution from the Lega Pro, to the extent that it allows combining the interest in continuity in the current championship with the interests of the bankruptcy procedure of the club”.
According to ‘La Gazzetta dello Sport’, Maurizio Pellegrino, the club’s sports director, would have tried to raise nearly 35,000 euros to be able to play today’s game against Latina, but despite the fact that some directors had guaranteed the presence of the money, the party was finally suspended, like, for the time being, the other three remaining
The etneo club, one of the historical ones in Italy, has played in Serie C since 2015, and the reasons for its fall were not strictly sports. Catania was relegated from Serie B as a match-fixing ban. Since then, the entity has not been able to get out of the well and, now, the 87-year-old team will not be able to finish the course on the grass.
From this moment, the points that the rest of the teams added against Catania during the course of the season are cancelled, something that has generated a slight variation in the classification of group C of the Italian third division.